[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


September 6, 2015

After Nine

Sunday. Lights out sometime after nine, not actually sure when, but well before ten. Awakened once briefly around four and then slept through until seven, so an unusually long night's rest. This after napping through most of yesterday, deciding to blame it all on what I'd eaten for breakfast.

Anyway, a nice day, clear skies, bright sun, walking to and back from breakfast carrying a camera (of course), a bit less paranoid. Fewer people about under a bright sun. That, I suspect, could have had something to do with it.

Home to pretty much crash. Didn't look at yesterdays entry, let alone post it, until eleven. Tired even after last night's long rest. Kept to a plain waffle with sliced strawberries and banana, the fruit cup and coffee, adding an English muffin this time out, so nothing controversial for breakfast. Checked the blood pressure, no lower than usual is: ninety-eight over seventy. That's low, but again, that's how it's been running now for these last several years.

Our conclusion is?

The day has decided to start in the afternoon (if you don't count breakfast), but started it has. We'll go with it, see where it leads.

Later. There was an incident not far down the way at Whole Foods recently where a customer, a young African American as it happens, was beaten and thrown outside the entrance of the store by one of the Whole Foods security guards, leaving him lying there unconscious in a pool of his own blood, waiting on an ambulance to arrive. Spectators at the scene reported there'd been an argument over a charge card at the check out stand, but no voices had been raised and the attack by the guard seemed totally uncalled for. And so there's a demonstration scheduled this afternoon at the store.

And you're not there with a camera.

Thought about it. Awfully warm out there, but again, it's not far and I could easily carry a single camera with the 24mm-120mm lens, easy enough to carry, easy enough to photograph. Feel tired (and yes, still a little paranoid), but that would go away once I got walking. I said.

I eventually did go outside, but over to the lake where I took the picture up top, waiting on the fellow to pass by before taking his photograph. Not sure why I waited until he'd passed. He was cool, the bottle of water was cool and walking while balancing something on your head might be a good exercise in maintaining balance. Or just to get out in the sun and have an off the wall good time. But I waited before taking the shot. Not much to say for a street photographer (walking along a lake). You can't get the picture unless you take the picture.

Anyway, that was it. Too warm and so a single additional snapshot before heading back to the apartment to sit at the computer in front of the fan. The blood pressure the same, possibly a little lower, so maybe that's a factor, but we're inside (I suspect) for the rest of the day.

Evening. More time trying to find something I wanted to watch for more than ten minutes on the tablet, a look at the eight o'clock Masterpiece Theater Arthur & George for about five minutes before turning it off and heading back to bed to turn out the lights after nine.

The photo up top was taken this afternoon along Lake Merritt with a Nikon D4s mounted with a 24-120mm f 4.0 VR Nikkor lens.