[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


February 11, 2015

Aging Limbs

Wednesday. And so I did go to bed before ten and turned out the lights and went to sleep like a good little bunny rabbit, awakened (somewhat rudely) by the alarm this morning at six to then set off for breakfast feeling pretty good. We usually feel pretty good in the mornings up and through breakfast, if something is going to go wrong, it goes wrong when we get home to go through whatever tricks and tribulations until the afternoon, when sweetness and light often make an appearance.

And this morning?

With all the sun and little rain I've been wondering if whatevers in the air (Bad Air Days abound) might be adding to the sinus problems. The sinuses felt crappy getting home, lying down and avoiding facing editing yesterday's entry until the head had cleared. Another day in Oakland. Still, the sun is shining, the day is ahead and I'm tired of saying nothing interests me. Let's just get out the door and head somewhere, blow off sitting here idling in our own foolish juices.


Indeed. We are nothing if not predictable.

Later. Feeling funky, but a walk over to the construction site to take what pictures I could find. Brought along both cameras, but nothing appeared requiring the use of the long lens. Back to lie down again and not watch anything on the tablet. I've had some unusually bad luck lately in my movie choices (of the choices offered) and that, combined with reading an article or two lately about how watching this stuff on a tablet before bedtime is bad for your sleep, has put me off tablet viewing for a while. For an hour or two (if I'm honest).

Later still. Well, better. Maybe the pain meds for the sinuses did the trick - maybe, maybe - but who knows? A bus to the ATM on Broadway, a walk back to Grand and the Peet's by the Christ the Light church for a cranberry concoction of some kind (not bad) and coffee out at one of their tables, thinking I'd eat and wait for the next bus along Grand. Caught the bus and returned to the apartment. Feel fine, the day is really nice and we still have no idea what to do now, but nothing new in that other than the mood being pretty good.

Evidently there was a fire last night at the burger drive-in where I sometimes buy a sandwich. It started in their kitchen just after midnight, the firefighters arriving to put it out after they'd sustained twenty thousand dollars in damages and they'll have to remain closed until repairs can be completed. So I must have been asleep as I didn't hear the sirens. I'd have heard them if I'd been in the semi-sleep, almost-sleep, not-quite-sleep mode I've been complaining so much about. So asleep I was. At just after midnight.

Evening. To bed early, nothing on television (as usual on Wednesday evenings).

And how many times must we repeat that day in and day out?

More than all the fingers and all the toes on my aging limbs.

Multiplied by the number of hairs on your empty (albeit hairy) head.

The photo up top was taken at the March For Real Climate Leadership with a Nikon D4s mounted with a 70-200mm f 2.8 VR II Nikkor lens.