[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


July 8, 2017


Saturday. Lights out early enough, the bedroom windows wide open to the outside cooler air, to get comfortably to sleep last night and awaken at quarter to six. Too early, but took my time getting up and getting ready to walk to breakfast, leaving the apartment at six-thirty, but not early enough for the East Bay Times to have arrived. OK, a picture along the way.

Had the avocado and cheese omelet with country potatoes, fruit cup and coffee for breakfast that still left me hungry when I got home. Bright sun, the temperature nice, but they're saying even warmer than yesterday's high of eighty-four degrees later, so we're thankful for the temperature right now, hoping right now might last for a while.

Later. An interesting day in that I started with a half dose instead of the usual full dose of pain meds, thinking to see if that would make any noticeable difference and so far the day has gone in, um, interesting ways. Interesting? Because of the half dose? Not sure, suspect not, but we're going to find out.

The head in a bubble, the sinuses active in the middle of the too common debate as to whether I wanted to go outside, but finally did head out the door to walk over to the lake and sit on a bench in the sun for a while, thinking I was hungry, but unwilling to put the effort into getting something nearby. Checked the watch and saw a bus was due soon and so, thinking there was no way I was willing to go downtown, said the hell with it, walked to the stop as the bus arrived and rode to the City Center downtown. Even I was surprised.

A turkey with Swiss on a bagel with coffee at the bagel shop sitting out at a table in the sun and then, checking the NextBus app and seeing I'd just missed a bus, decided to walk to the Broadway ATM and take a picture of the construction site at 17th while passing, maybe even walk on to Grand to take a set of pictures of the burned apartment house, as I'd seen the streets were still taped off and they were working in clearing the building. Liked the thought, but figured it would take too long and I'd miss the return bus and have to wait for thirty minutes for the next, wait while feeling as I did like crap.

Ended up taking the bus home, stopping the the 7-11 look-alike for an ice cream bar and bag of cashews. Still hungry, still feeling weird and crappy and thinking, if I had an ounce of gumption left in me, I'd rest for a bit and then take another bus to the apartment house fire site, spend ten minutes taking pictures and catch the return bus home, the ten or so minute window between buses enough time for pictures. And surprised myself by doing it.

Evening. And that was pretty much the day. Listless, but none the less getting out, the sinuses acting up, but why? Because we'd dialed back on the meds? Could be, but days like these have happened after taking the meds and more in the past. Television and tablet spelled out the rest of the day, writing this the next morning, as the head had been too fuzzy to write it last night. Adventure, something different one might say, this first day of a weekend.

The photo up top was taken at the San Francisco LGBT Pride Parade with a Nikon D5 mounted with a 70-200mm f 2.8 VR II Nikkor lens.