[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


August 24, 2017


Thursday. To bed early to watch bits and pieces of things I have going on the tablet, Netflix and Prime, to then turn out the lights before ten. Another uneven night, but a good deal less uneven than some recent ones and so awakening at five minutes before six to catch the KPFA five minute news before Democracy Now! started. Good. Up and then out the door with all three papers in tow.

As overcast as it was yesterday, walking by two Black-crowned Night Herons scavenging for breakfast near the café, including just one of them in the less than skillful picture. I can blame it on carrying the newspapers under the one arm getting in the way of carrying the camera in the other, or I can blame it on the photographer, knowing full well it's always the photographer.

Eggs Benedict, country potatoes, fruit cup and coffee for breakfast, the weight coming in again at exactly one-fifty on the scale this morning. I have a set routine in getting up and usually weigh myself first thing, but either forgot to do it this morning and waited until five later to do it then or I had indeed weighed myself in the usual sequence, but totally forgot the fact just minutes later. A memory glitch? Did I forget what I'd done after just minutes had passed or did I forget there was nothing to remember? I'm afraid forgetting what I'd done just minutes before is the answer.

Too early to be writing around in circles, don't you think?

Just noting the life as it's passing.

I hadn't done anything with the journal yesterday after returning from the lab in the early afternoon and so it took more time than usual to finish yesterday's deathless prose when I got home from breakfast. That walk to the lab was more tiring than I'd imagined.

Later. A walk to the Lakeshore ATM to have a yogurt cup and coffee at an outside table at the bagel shop before picking up a card at the card store, the vision doing its usual tricks all the while I was walking. I needed the card (to celebrate a newborn member in the family) or I would have turned back first thing and stayed inside. Still, nice to have it done.

The vision seems to have its problems while outside walking, but not when I'm inside. It's always been the case, but I'm not sure why. The sinus-upper palate was acting up and so a second dose of the pain meds and they seem to be having an effect. Which is good I'd guess.

Later still. And so, late afternoon, things seem to have straightened themselves out. Clear vision, actually clear since the minute I got home with the card, sinus-upper palate behaving and thinking the day is going right. Just like that.

Evening. Nothing on television. The three PBS stations I get here are all seemingly raising money, have been raising money seemingly forever, and there's nothing else playing on the others. OK, there's always the tablet.

The photo up top was taken at the Oakland Art & Soul Festival Sunday with a Nikon D5 mounted with a 70-200mm f 2.8 VR II Nikkor lens.