[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


October 31, 2017


Tuesday. Asleep by ten last night, no problem there, to awaken then at six-fifteen, right on target. Up and out the door to find a work crew unloading earth moving equipment in the parking lot at the base of my hill, taking a picture or two later on the way home for the better light and shooting positions. I'm curious enough to go down again this morning with one of the big cameras for more pictures.

Clear sky, cool, the plain waffle with sliced bananas and strawberries, fruit cup and coffee for breakfast. Seemed right. Smack on at one-fifty on the scale, this morning, no desire for anything heavier. Lots of coverage of the Mueller indictments in the papers, most of which I'd already read yesterday on the newspaper web sites and listening to Democracy Now! on the radio as I was getting up this morning.

A bright sun walking home, the usual set of pictures with the small V 1 camera, the general attitude good and thinking it's best to keep my damned mouth shut about feeling good lest the Fates be disturbed from their slumbers. Halloween. Kids don't come by trick-or-treating here, at least they haven't in the last decade or so, which means there's no bowl of candy to get me in trouble.

Later. A quick walk halfway down the hill to take those snapshots of the work crew to find they were boring, starting to bore, a hole next to the lot's ticket dispenser. No idea what it's for or if that's all they're planning on doing.

Futzed around with this and that before finally heading out to catch a bus to the Broadway ATM, taking one of the large cameras along in the backpack. Almost left the backpack and just carried the camera in hand, it's pretty safe going to and from the Broadway ATM during the noon hour, but finally settled on packing the camera.

The NextBus app said I had fourteen minutes before a return bus would arrive and so over again to the apartment house construction site to take a picture of the building at 23rd and Valdez that had burned after it had been framed, all that now remains is its cement first floor, and then photographs of the building(s) they're constructing beside it on 23rd and Webster before returning to the bus stop at Grand. Four minutes later the bus arrived and I was on it.

Stopped by the 7-11 look-alike on the way home to pick up a roll of Necco wafers (still no Good & Plenty) and a package of Chipotle “Wicked Hot” peanuts for lunch. No complaints. No reason not to do this now and again. And again. Another picture at the parking lot before climbing the hill to my apartment.

Evening. The game.

The photo up top was taken Sunday at the Fruitvale Dia de los Muertos Festival with a Nikon D5 mounted with a 70-200mm f 2.8 VR II Nikkor lens.