[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


February 11, 2017


Saturday. Lights out at ten to get what I'm thinking must have been a decent night's sleep, awakening at just after six to walk to breakfast on a clear, going to be sunny, morning. A bit cold, the eyes really tearing up while walking, but a sensible breakfast (the oatmeal, toast, fruit cup and coffee) with a clear head and no bothersome sinuses. Too bothersome sinuses.

And I do feel better than I did yesterday. None of the logy stuff (whatever that was) and so we're thinking we will get out and photograph and Chinese New Year Parade in San Francisco late this afternoon. I did manage to photograph it last year, although I only came up with one section of photographs. No complaints, one is invariably better than none.

Later. Charged the camera batteries. They weren't really down far enough to need charging, but down far enough to get me to make the effort. We've always been a little anal about charging the batteries.

You were, after all, a Boy Scout.

We'll take the bus to arrange getting there before four, allowing something like an hour and a half of shooting. An hour and a half will be as much as I'll want to handle, given recent experience. Two hours is better, but this parade tends for a number of reasons to not offer picture opportunities until about thirty minutes before it starts.

Later still. The bus to BART to the Montgomery Street Station, thinking I should have taken a dose of the pain meds with the sinuses acting up the way they now were, but still arrived in plenty of time to start taking pictures. Again, a difficult parade to photograph, as most of the participants are high school age and younger: marching bands, marshal arts clubs and such.

A little light headed and quite tired as five-fifteen approached, more so than I liked, deciding to catch BART back home at five before the parade started. Waited for a bus in Oakland, sitting for twenty minutes on a bench at the stop, thankful to be sitting. So much for the stalwart photographer. This one was pooped.

Evening. Home, tired, watched some television and then went to bed at eight and turned out the lights. Eight is early, too early really to turn out the lights, except tonight I was tired, really tired, and figured the early to bed rule didn't apply this night.

The photo up top was taken of a store window while walking home from breakfast this morning with a Nikon D4 mounted with a 105mm f 2.8 G Micro Nikkor lens.