[Journal Menu]

[Home Page]


[100 Books]

[Other Sites]

Here In Oakland

Art & Life


August 19, 2017


Saturday. Lights out later than I'd have liked. for some reason, to get an uneven, but not particularly unpleasant night's rest. At least I felt rested when I awoke at quarter to six. Early, but easy enough to take my time in setting out for breakfast at six-thirty, the East Bay Times not yet having arrived. Sometimes it has, sometimes it hasn't.

A picture of a vandalized bicycle walking to breakfast on this overcast morning. Had I seen it before, sitting out as it was in front of the bicycle shop? Can't remember. A heads up for people who were shopping?

The waffle with sliced bananas and strawberries, side order of toast, fruit cup and coffee for breakfast, taking no chances with eating anything that might bring on an ocular migraine later as it did yesterday. The Art & Soul Festival starts at noon so best not to piddle around with trouble.

Set out walking home by quarter to eight taking the usual pictures along the way. I'd worked on yesterday's entry at length, putting little to nothing off to complete this morning. Still reads as if it were written by a bubble headed writer, babble here, babble there, but we're not complaining, just explaining.

Explaining to whom?

To me-um.

Later. Another lighter, but potent enough, ocular migraine came along around ten and put me on the bed for an hour. So much for blaming it on whatever it is I'm having for breakfast. No idea where they come from, except they come more often in the mornings.

Functioning reasonably well by noon and so a bus to the Broadway ATM and then a walk to the Art & Soul entrance at 14th. I'd been tempted to bring the D500 mounted with the 24-120mm lens as it gives me the equivalent of a 36-180mm lens, close enough to the range with the two cameras and lighter to trundle around.

But you didn't.

Habits are hard to break. Walked the various blocked off streets filled with people selling everything from food to toe rings, posters to pottery, the performance stages preparing for their first acts to go on (I'd arrived too early again by one, maybe two hours) and through all this finding few if any pictures. Actually, looking at what I shot, almost nothing.

Had a sandwich and grapefruit drink for lunch at a restaurant that was open near the blocked off entrance to the City Center area (where I usually repaired to during these events to find a place to sit), checked the amphitheater area in front of City Hall to sit down and check the NextBus app for the next arriving bus, saw it due in three minutes, got up and managed to get to the stop just as the bus arrived. Tired, fuzzy headed and done for the day.

Evening. Nothing on television other than Law & Order episodes I've seen before and so spent the time watching this and that on the tablet, too fuzzy headed to attempt any writing here in the journal when I got home from the festival. We'll sort this out tomorrow.

Are you going to take another crack at Art & Soul again tomorrow?

Well, I'm writing this tomorrow and thinking flip a coin. What's going to be different today? Take but one camera? Arrive later?

The photo up top was taken at the Pistahan Festival Sunday in San Francisco with a Nikon D5 mounted with a 70-200mm f 2.8 VR II Nikkor lens.